Being Your Own Boss is So Great!
I recently hosted a free information session for Virtual Assistants.
One of the first things I ask anyone when they are thinking of starting out: why they want to start their own business.
I have heard a variety of answers to this question, but many times the answer is ‘to be my own boss’.
When I start to work with someone as their coach, I ask them to look deeper into that statement. Why do you want to be your own boss?
There are always more underlying reasons that simply because you want to.
And we often talk about needing to understand WHY you want to be in business for yourself. Because some days are hard, and some decisions are hard.
Some days you will find yourself wondering if it’s worth it.
So why not start your whole business by considering that WHY, and building on it?
Why do you want to be your own boss? Think of the actual reasons.
Because it’s GREAT to be your own boss – for lots of reasons!
Here are some I have heard through discussions with other VAs:
1. I get to make my own decisions (good or bad!)
2. I can manage my own schedule.
3. I can manage my own workload.
4. I can choose the people who I want to work with.
5. I can decide which services I want to offer.
6. I can make time to fit in the other things I want to do in my life: kids’ field trips, travel, holidays, etc.
These are the normal responses that I hear.
Here are a few additional ones that you may not have thought of.
7. I get to decide what I charge, and how much money I make.
8. I get to claim some of my expenses on my taxes.
9. I don’t have to answer to anyone.
10. I can hire my own staff!
11. I can take a vacation any time I want!
12. I can make as much or as little money as I want to, anytime.
Being your own boss is a huge responsibility, but when you look at the advantages, it sure makes it easier to handle those tough days.
When you approach your business with a CEO mindset (you are not an employee, you are the owner and Chief Executive Officer of your own business), you will work better with your clients.
You will set boundaries and procedures to make things clear for everyone who works with you. Everything just becomes … easier.
Being the boss is great, as long as you act like one!
For more information about getting your VA business started, visit www.canadianava.org/va-training/